LEADFREE Archives

April 2006

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Kay Nimmo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2006 10:27:48 +0100
Hello Joe

I'm glad you appreciated it - are you going to invest ?!

The first EP document on RoHS must have been from ~July 2000. It was a
TOTAL ban on Pb solder at that time (I have copied the list of
exemptions from 2000 for you below - note no exemptions for any kind of
solder).

If you remember around the same time the DTI decided to produce a report
on lead-free soldering. NPL and ourselves were asked to write it - as
you know we have been writing technical documents on solders since 1932.

These DTI documents were used by many people (I suppose in much the same
way other DTI reports are now). Ourselves and NPL did many presentations
summarising the DTI report info.  One of them I did was a seminar at the
EP maybe in ~November 2000 which also included various other papers.

You can read DTI reports for yourself, they are still on the NPL
website;
http://www.npl.co.uk/ei/documents/pbfreereport.pdf

I don't think there is any secret about any of our reports and papers on
lead-free - you will also find plenty of papers and presentations that I
have done before/after that time that describe the same issues.

I am absolutely certain that ITRI has never suggested to anyone that
lead-free solder can replace all lead solders, or that there are not
certain technical issues that need to be considered, or that success
doesn't depends on the application. If you remember differently then
please let me know.

The EP introduced the exemptions for high temperature/servers/network
solders sometime between 2001-2002 therefore making RoHS more lenient.

Of course now there are plenty of new EU proposals to worry about. For
example, REACH which will be difficult and expensive for all
chemicals/metals producers/users to comply with - and which also
includes a standard requirement to automatically substitute substances
of concern with alternatives. It doesn't apply to any particular sector
but to any use of chemicals. Maybe you want to send your comments on
that to the EP before it is too late. Don't worry I always enjoy the
interesting RoHS forum discussions - just that I am rather busy with new
things like REACH now to send any comments.

I hope that clarifies.
Kay

(By the way, perhaps it would be better to be more specific about your
concerns on copper toxicity - otherwise someone might decide to ban
that!)

*********************
Applications of lead, mercury, cadmium and hexavalent chromium, which
are exempted from the requirements
of Article 4(4)
F Mercury in compact fluorescent lamps not exceeding 5 mg per lamp
F Mercury in straight fluorescent lamps not exceeding 10 mg per lamp
F Mercury in lamps not specifically mentioned in this Annex
F Mercury in laboratory equipment
F Lead as radiation protection
F Lead in glass of cathode ray tubes, light bulbs and fluorescent tubes
F Lead as an alloying element in steel containing up to 0,3 % lead by
weight, aluminium containing up to 0,4 % lead
by weight and as a copper alloy containing up to 4 % lead by weight
F Lead in electronic ceramic parts
F Cadmium oxide on the surface of selenium photocells
F Cadmium passivation as an anti-corrosion in specific applications
F Cadmium, mercury and lead in hollow cathode lamps for atomic
absorption spectroscopy and other instruments to
measure heavy metals
F Hexavalent chromium as an anti-corrosion of the carbon steel cooling
system in absorption refrigerators.