LEADFREE Archives

April 2006

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
MA/NY DDave <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Fri, 28 Apr 2006 22:21:51 -0500
Hi Phil from MAss, Werner, Chris, IPC LF Listservers,

I like Chris's answer the best for your situation.

Stay within your supplier's limits and have the PCB's they send you
packaged in smaller increments. Stay within their time frames since this
makes engineering, process manufacturing, and even management's life easier
for you.

I know Chris gave even more information, which is good stuff.

As Werner notes all finishes of the Immersion Variety are self limiting
reactions and have a porosity, which means STUFF gets through the pores and
down to the underlying materials. IPC used to have and probably still does
have test methods on porosity testing.

BTW, Gold does tarnish, as it should, yet very slowly depending on
localized atmospheric perameters and purity.

One final note, the IPC per a committee person or the chairman once
commented on list about their work on surfaces and storage life and some
kind of standard. It was difficult was my memory of his post.

Yours in Engineering, Dave
YiEngr, MA/NY DDave