LEADFREE Archives

April 2006

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Ryan Grant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2006 08:59:54 -0600
Hi Todd,

I've run into the SnPb not properly soldering to pure Sn in a typical
leaded reflow profile when the Sn thickness is exceptionally high.
Apparently, the high Sn content of the component was changing the alloy
of the eutectic SnPb solder joint to a high Sn content SnPb solder, with
a corresponding higher melting point.  This caused the solder to
prematurely solidify before a proper meniscus could form.  The suppliers
response was that we should use a lead-free reflow profile (with our
leaded paste) to properly melt the 'now' high Sn solder.  Our response
was that they can either bring their plating thickness under control or
sell their parts to someone else!

I would compare your suppliers plating thickness to your solder joint
volume.  If their plating thickness is trivial compared to the solder
volume (it should be!), then I don't see why a SnBi plating would need
to become liquid to solder to it.

Quite frankly, I wouldn't allow a SnBi plating in a SnPb soldering
process anyway because of the concern of SnPbBi eutectic and heat
refining localizing that alloy...

Regards,
Ryan