LEADFREE Archives

April 2006

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Werner Engelmaier <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 2006 11:35:31 EDT
Hi 'mtaylor,'
> 1)   I posted a peripheral question about determining if a peak temperature
> could
> be detected by looking at the microstructure of solder joints.
> A: No, you cannot tell from the solder microstructure what the peak
temperature reach was. The solder micro structure depends solely on the rate of
cooling--fine grain structure=fast cooling; coarse grain structure=slower cooling. No
practical advantage is to be gained from cooling products faster to get finer
grain structures--however, you may get fractured SJs because of thermal shock
testing, however, SJ grain structure is inherently unstable, and thus the apparent
gain in reliability is an illusion.

> 2)  Can you look at a board that has failed in a lead-free process and see
> if the board saw the same thermal experience as other boards in the lot?  By
> thermal analysis?  By metallurgical examination?
> A: No, you cannot. However, you can tell whether or not it sustained the same
level of damage. You get similar levels of damage by multiple exposures to
lower T-levels or one exposure to a high T-level. Moisture content will also
play an important role as does resin content and the degree of cure of the resin.

> 3)  Within a board, could you look at a BGA for example, near a failure,
> and
> see if it saw more thermal experience (rework) than the surrounding board?
> A: Yes, but that determination is destructive, because you have to section
the PCB.

> Do you know if an acceptable procedure has been published that we could
> reference in support of an analysis? The answers help direct where to go to
> find a solution to prevent a future failure.
> A: No, there is no established procedure to my knowledge. I can tell you
where to go to prevent future occurrences--engage a consultant, if you do not have
the in-house expertise.

Regards,
Werner Engelmaier
Engelmaier Associates, L.C.
Electronic Packaging, Interconnection and Reliability Consulting
7 Jasmine Run
Ormond Beach, FL 32174 USA
Phone: 386-437-8747, Fax: 386-437-8737, Cell: 386-316-5904
E-mail: [log in to unmask], Website: www.engelmaier.com