ENVIRONET Archives

April 2006

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Charles Dolci <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Environmental Issues <[log in to unmask]>, Charles Dolci <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2006 20:06:08 -0700
Joe:

It is not clear from your posting so I assume that the "shrinking" polar
caps is a year to year average.  It is, after all, quite common for the
north pole ice cap to completely melt by the end of summer. In fact,
there are photos taken over 50 years ago of American and British
submarines surfacing at the north pole in open water.  According to Pat
Michaels, a research professor of environmental sciences at the
University of Virginia the Arctic Ocean was ice-free at the end of the
summer for 40 percent of the last 7,000 years.
Is the reflective properties of north pole ice that much of  an issue?
 At the north pole when there is ice to reflect sunlight  there is no
sun (i.e. because it is winter and dark all day long) so solar
reflection isn't happening anyway -  and when there is no ice and only
sea to absorb more sun light there is plenty of sun (i.e. summer). If
the earth has survived for many millenia with this cycle why worry about
it now?

See http://www.tcsdaily.com/article.aspx?id=112204A

Chuck