DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

April 2006

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Gary M. Koven" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2006 11:47:24 -0400
Denis,

>From Section 5.4.1 of IPC-2221:

Diameter true position (dtp) callout, also known as positional tolerance
zone, allows 57% more tolerance area than bilateral tolerance callout.

>From Table 9-3 of IPC-2221:

Level A = 0.25mm dtp = 0.010in
Level B = 0.2 mm dtp = 0.008in
Level C = 0.15mm dtp = 0.006in

Let's say you have a board with a 1mm pitch BGA and 0.025in (0.625mm) vias
between the balls.  If the allowable dtp = 0.003in (0.007mm), you'd still
short out your board.  Other callouts on drawing such as manufacturing
allowance, minimum spacing, and minimum annular ring end up trumping Table
9-3 any day of the week on a BGA board.

I have never understood why the industry is satisfied with these
producibility values in Table 9.3 when the reality of building BGA boards
requires much tighter dimensional controls on drill position/drill drift.

But the purchasing agents at the fab shops would salivate if they saw Level
C/Class 3 on drawing.  Assuming your umbrella spec on drawing is IPC-6012
Level B/Class 2/industrial, if you put 0.003in (0.007mm) dtp on drawing,
you'd very likely pay a fortune for that board fab.  So you have to put
0.2mm (0.008in) to keep it as a Level B/Class 2/industrial and out of the
realm of Level C/Class 3/mission critical and keep the price reasonable.

Other situations may invalidate the above umbrella ... or else I'm growing
ever more daft in my quest of the truth.

Best Regards,

Gary M. Koven, C.I.D.
Dynazign, Inc.
Veteran of the Marsh School