TECHNET Archives

March 2006

From:
"Jones, Evamaria" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Jones, Evamaria
Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 2006 07:39:41 -0500
William,
I worked on a contract building flight simulators for the military that were about the same dimension you gave for your equipment. Currently, I work in a DoD R&D environment where the requirements are constantly changing.

Those assemblies and subassemblies that are least affected by change are the best candidates for optimizing your build process by utilizing automated production capabilities. We outsource some assemblies that are low risk and better suited for the automated process. If you decide to do this, your drawings must be flawless and vendors should be thoroughly evaluated in advance.

Most of our work is done by hand or semi-automated. We build critical assemblies in house. All performance testing and final assembly is performed in-house.

I suggest developing a technology roadmap for your group that identifies equipment suitable for your operation. In terms of cabling there are plenty of excellent options for capital improvements. I assume your PCB's are SMT. There are wonderful pick and place machines that are easy to set up and handle high mix / complex assemblies.

See you at NEPCON

Eva J
Quality Engineer
Instructor