TECHNET Archives

March 2006

From:
Donald Vischulis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Donald Vischulis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Mar 2006 08:27:09 -0600
The previous email shouldn't have gone to the forum because I can't post my company's flowdown to the general public.  The following link goes to the UTC website (Pratt & Whitney, Pratt & Whitney, Canada, & Hamilton Sunstrand) for their public domain supplier flowdown.  (http://suppliers.utc.com/sqd/ASQR/pdf_files/asqr01.pdf)

You will note that the base specification is AS-9100 with company specific additions - especially in the process proving areas.  This is a typical approach taken by many of my company's customers.  We are a tier 1 supplier to engine manufacturers and have to address customer specific requirements in our quality system.  We are also required to flow down customer requirements to our supply base.  As you can imagine, multiple customers, each with their own special additions to the base requirement, makes compliance interesting.

The easiest document to use to begin the conversion process is AS-9100 because it identifies the areas where AS goes beyond ISO.  I recommend creating a compliance matrix by listing each requirement specific to AS-9100 (paragraph number and text) in a column and listing the corresponding area of your quality system that addresses the requirement next to the AS requirement.  The size of the gap between the AS standard and your current QMS will depend on your previous experience with aircraft requirements and how proactive your QMS approach has been.

The following link will take you to one company's public domain quality manual that addresses the current AS-9100 requirements. (http://www.malcams.com/qc/QualityManual-9000-2000.pdf).  Their high level approach is representative of many other AS-9100 quality manuals.

I'm not a quality systems consultant (my current title is Supplier Quality Engineer), but  my job requires me to address supplier quality compliace issues.  I will try to answer any specific questions that you might have.  Sorry about the delay in replying, but I was traveling last week.

Don Vischulis