TECHNET Archives

March 2006

From:
Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 2006 08:24:26 -0600
Don,
You are indeed correct in stating that the material properties have only a little to do with delamination.
A material with a high Tg and Td simply means that the materials themselves will stand up a little better in higher Pb-free reflow temperatures. The suppliers of the prepreg still need to do a good job of lamination, or it does not really matter if the materials themselves have better capabilities. Some very good postings on this subject from Susan Mansilla and Werner Engelmaier, amongst others, were posted here within the last two months.
The N4000-6 and -13 have been delaminating at several of my clients at NORMAL (read 210-235 C.) reflow temperatures, and in addition have proven to have very poor pad retention. I do not know enough about board fabrication to determine why that is, I can only report what I see happening. It has not been isolated to a single board fabricator or prepreg supplier.
In addition, during normal BGA rework, the pads without trace attachments literally slide off of the boards when the BGA is removed. We could not do anything to the process to prevent it.
These boards were baked to remove moisture. Did not make any difference, they still delaminated when passed through the reflow at 200 deg. C.