TECHNET Archives

March 2006

From:
Eddie Rocha <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Eddie Rocha <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2006 16:56:49 -0700
Was this a tough question? I didn't receive but one
response. Thanks Rudy.

Eddie:

Not clear I can "explain" something which is likely
incorrect.
If your vendors start with Cr +6, the likelihood of there
being zero Cr+6 on the foil is near zero... certainly some
of the Cr +6 reacts with Copper metal Cu0 to form Cr+3 and
Cu+2, but all of it?  Hah... dream on.

However, before you go off and begin screaming, I suspect
strongly that some producers of foil may well be switching
from Cr+6 to zero Cr coating...  I cannot fathom why
organics could not do as good a job...

And if there are foil producers who need some technology to
assist this change, contact me... :-)

Rudy Sedlak
RD Chemical Company

Eddie Rocha <[log in to unmask]> wrote: I understand that
copper foils are protected with chromates
(Cr6) prior to producing laminate. Since this is an RoHS
banned substance I need to understand why all my laminate
suppliers have certified their material to be RoHS
compliant.

One supplier responded by stating that Cr6 is reduced to a
state of Cr3 or Cr0 which is not a restricted substance.

Can somebody explain how it goes from a state of Cr6 to one
of the reduced states and why sometimes Cr3 versus Cr0?

Thank you,
Eddie Rocha

following text in
To temporarily halt or (re-start) delivery of Technet send
e-mail to [log in to unmask]: SET Technet NOMAIL or (MAIL)
To receive ONE mailing per day of all the posts: send
e-mail to [log in to unmask]: SET Technet Digest
http://listserv.ipc.org/archives
Please visit IPC web site
http://www.ipc.org/contentpage.asp?Pageid=4.3.16 for
additional information, or contact Keach Sasamori at
[log in to unmask] or 847-615-7100 ext.2815