TECHNET Archives

March 2006

From:
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2006 09:54:40 -0600
There are special ESD-safe brushes listed in most electronic supply
catalogs that are mechanically bound to prevent this, and also to ground
the bristle. The bristle is usually either horsehair or hog bristle,
both of which generate less of a charge than nylon. As examples of these
brushes, look in ContactEast catalog pn 127-351 through 127-353, 403-239
and 240, 127-277. Applicator-style brush 403-240 can be trimmed down to
get a fine-application brush. I have also qualified non-ESD brushes
417-592 through size 417-595 as they are red sable brushes and have less
ESD charge than the others, even though they were not designed as
ESD-safe brushes. I measured the maximum charge using a field meter,
could not generate more than 4 volts. These particular red sable brushes
do need to be crimped with a pliers to prevent the shedding, but once
crimped they do not pull out.