TECHNET Archives

March 2006

From:
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2006 09:59:50 -0600
It depends. (Thanks, Doug).

If your ESD program has all 6 major components working:

1. All personnel inside the ESD zone are grounded with either ESD shoes
or wristrap, and a smock with conductive elastic sleeves to transfer
charge from clothing to ground through the operator.
2. ESD flooring is in place, tested quarterly.
3. All benches and worksurfaces are properly grounded (individually
where possible, no daisy chains), Faraday cages are used for sensitive
components, etc.
4. Environmental controls are in place for humidity.
5. You have an ESD training program in place and all of the personnel
are trained and certified.
6. All of the above is checked and documented on a regular basis.

Then there is not so much danger if an operator's footstrap fails. The
other 5 components of the ESD program will help ensure that no damage is
done to the hardware as a result.

But why throw something like not testing footstraps in front of you to
stumble over? It does not cost anything to require personnel to re-test
upon re-entry.

A better solution is to forget about the footstraps and require ESD
shoes. Operators often wear footstraps home and forget them, and they do
not last very long. Replacement of ESD footstraps can become more costly
over time than providing the operator some type of allowance towards ESD
shoes once every two years or so. The shoe data shows better results
than the footstraps.

A comprehensive 6-component program is the basis for not having to worry
if a single bench is found to have a broken ground wire, or a single
operator was found to be carrying an ESD device with a footstrap loose,
or whatever. It is also the basis for not having to perform segregation
and analysis of any hardware that may have come in contact with the
ungrounded bench or operator during the time it was technically not
grounded. If one or more of the components is missing (no ESD flooring,
for example), then strict compliance to items such as how often the
footstrap should be tested becomes much more important.