TECHNET Archives

March 2006

From:
Kevin Glidden <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2006 16:34:12 -0500
Hi Tony,

I can't answer your question about controls to maintain positive pressure,
but I can point out to you that this is not a REQUIREMENT of J-STD-001.  It
is a RECOMMENDATION.  The key word in the spec is "should": "3.6.1
Environmental Controls The soldering facility should be enclosed,
temperature and humidity controlled,and maintained at a positive pressure."

Only the word "Shall" makes a binding requirement.  See section 1.4: "1.4
Definition of Requirements. The word shall is used throughout this document
whenever a requirement is intended to express a provision that is binding."

I went through this same thing for a customer audit to J-STD-001.  Our
facility had AC, but the humidity was not 100% controlled, and we did not
maintain positive pressure.  They insisted the facility had to meet all the
items listed in 3.6.1, but that is not the case.

I would say that if your investigation yields it would take significant
investment to bring your facility in compliance with section 3.6.1, then you
at least have a leg to stand on in stating it is not required per the
specification.

Good luck,
Kevin