LEADFREE Archives

March 2006

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Oliver Betz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2006 18:13:16 +0100
John Burke wrote:

[lfs-lca-final.pdf]

> Interestingly, it appears that SAC alloy has a higher impact than tin
> lead in a number of areas such as:

correct, _but_ it also mentions lead leaching as severe problem using
SnPb.

I'm missing the information whether noticeable quantities of toxic
lead compounds from electronic assemblies are found in soil or water.

I found a paper from the German "Umweltbundesamt"
http://www.umweltdaten.de/publikationen/fpdf-l/2936.pdf

and it doesn't even mention solder from PCBs, but mineral fertiliser,
liquid manure, compost, sludge, brake abrasion as main sources of
lead compositions in soil.

Anyone knowing a better survey?

[...]

> For anyone thinking that I am "knocking" lead free - you are right -
> there continues to be no reason to support it given that WEEE laws in
> Europe mean that electronics never end up in a landfill anyway so
> leaching arguments and measurement methods are somewhat academic.

Well, "never" is rather optimistic. There will be a certain amount of
electronic devices in residual waste. We will see...

Oliver
--
Oliver Betz, Muenchen