LEADFREE Archives

March 2006

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Camille Good <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2006 14:40:42 -0800
Daan,

  I don't really have much to add besides saying that the company I work for followed the same approach as Amol Kane & Phil Nutting describe, that being all RoHS parts get their own new & unique internal part numbers.

  We ran into the same carping from some sectors of the company such as Genny Gibbard describes with her employer, and once a number of us sat down and looked at logistics -- especially for inventory control, purchasing, receiving, and the transition period when we have both RoHS & SnPb assemblies being made -- we came to the conclusion that not having separate internal part numbers was too great a risk.

  If you make a system that is not simple & intuitive for the people using it, then the system will fail as soon as the users hit a high-stress period where there is not enough extra time, energy, or brainspace to remember, apply and track thirteen dozen different rules.

  Which is the greater risk for your company:
  (a) losing time & money getting a system put together that will be easier to use in the long run, but includes:
  --- creating a whole new set of internal part numbers;
  --- training purchasing & receiving; and
  --- reviewing/updating what seems like a million different component specs and product bills of materials.
  (b) using the same part numbers for RoHS-compliant & non-compliant parts, and expecting purchasing, receiving & manufacturing to carry around a little book which has rules like:
  --- Company X's parts are compliant if marked E3,
  --- Company Y's parts are compliant if they have a suffix R,
  --- Company G's parts are compliant if they have a prefix R,
  --- Company M has three major products lines M1, M2 & M3, so company M product line M1 is compliant if the datecode is on or after Jan 2006, company M product line M2 is compliant is the datecode is on or after Sept 2005, company M product line M3 is supposed to have been compliant for at least five years already and they aren't going to change any markings, so you just have to accept those as is,
  --- Company H marks their products with a Pb in a circle with a slash and that is okay because lead is the only risk for them, but
  --- Company D's parts are only acceptable if they have both Pb in a circle with a slash AND a sticker saying RoHS, since some of their products are at risk for more than just lead.

  I would think in most cases option (a) carries less risk of mistakes in the long run, but it is truly up to you and the rest of the people in your company.  If everything you make is a special product, nothing is made in bulk and nothing is made the same way twice anyway, then you might be able to get away with having all the extra rules that option (b) implies.

  -Camille Good
  Portland, Oregon

Daan Terstegge <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  Hi all,

I would like to know how others are dealing with the situation that
leadcontaining parts are replaced by the componentmanufacturers by leadfree
alternatives. Typically a suffix like LF or E3 is added to the partnumber,
which implicates that it is no longer compatible with the qualified parts
list (which specified the partnumber without the suffix). This qualified
parts list then has to be updated, but not before someone has verified in
some detail that the leadfree part is indeed the same part as before. We
have had some bad experienced, therefore we are skeptical with regards to
what the vendors tells us.
For our about 2000 parts we have estimated that this will cost us 800
manhours.
Are others doing the same thing, or are you relying on your incoming goods
department to correctly interpret what all the possible suffixes mean. Are
leadfree suffixes an issue with regards to your qualified parts list or your
MRP system or do you consider the suffix non-information?
All comments are welcome,

Best regards,

Daan Terstegge