LEADFREE Archives

March 2006

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Charles Dolci <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 2006 17:09:55 -0800
The EuP directive is not solely about energy efficiency of a product
during use.  In fact, it is about all environemental aspects of a
product over the entire product's life cycle. The Annexes specifically
talk about choice and use of raw materials (even use of recycled
materials), manufacture, packaging,  transport  and distribution and
recycling, ect.  Just check the language in Part 1 of Annex 1.

Moreover, this is not limited to electronics. Any product that uses
energy in any form is covered. There is only an exemption and that is
for "means of transport".  So if your back yard grill uses propane it
would be covered.

The interesting part of all this is going to come when they start trying
to come up with design criteria for all of the many thousands of
products that will be covered.  Who is going to decide on the
trade-offs, e.g. sacrificing energy efficiency for the sake of using
more benign materials during manufacture, or use of materials that are
easier to recycle such as metals but are more costly to transport
because they weigh more, etc .  They are allowed to consider cost, but
economy is not a deciding factor so you know darn well that they will
take the position that even if a particular design criteria costs a
little more that is OK, because it will be "better" for this or that
reason.  Of course, consumers will be more than happy to bear these
additional costs because it is for their own good.

It will be interesting to see how they come up with standards for
"efficiency". Is a product that consumes more energy but has more
features less energy efficient than the bare bones product?  This is
going to be a fun one to watch - from the sidelines.

Chuck Dolci