LEADFREE Archives

March 2006

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Genny Gibbard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2006 10:03:41 -0600
I asked this question about a year ago.
We chose not to change PN's, unless it is a BGA, or it must stay Pb-then
the Pbfree gets a new PN (in a few situations the Pb became a new number
and the old number migrated to RoHS).  We also have a flag we can select
in our database saying which MPN's are RoHS.
Purchasing is supposed to try to order the RoHS first.
RoHS parts have a sticker attached at receiving, and stores is using a
modified FIFO - Pb first FIFO, then RoHS FIFO (unless it is needed for a
RoHS build, then RoHS is FIFO), even if Pb comes in after RoHS.  This is
to purge our stock as much as possible.
Knowing what I know now, the headaches this has caused to all
departments, I would fight harder for new PN's.  But we catered to the
design department not wanting to change every part number in every
design drawing of every product, etc...

Headaches include - purchasing doesn't know what is in stock, if they
need to buy specifically for a RoHS build.
Parts shortages.
Controlling stock at CM's
Handling stock on the production floor - avoiding bulk parts getting
mixed up.
Etc, etc, ad nauseum.
Who knows how we'll handle warranty work in the future.
But at this point I think we might be over the worst of the logistics of
it.  We aren't changing now, anyway.