ENVIRONET Archives

March 2006

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Charles Dolci <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Environmental Issues <[log in to unmask]>, Charles Dolci <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Mar 2006 21:47:07 -0800
I don't pay too much attention to news items in the mainstream press,
primarily because they so seldom get their facts right.
Why not look at the NASA press release on which the MSNBC article was
based? That can be found at
 http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2006/mar/HQ_06089_polar_ice_sheets_melting.html

Note that the NASA press release says "The ice sheets had a major net
loss of ice due to outflow from West Antarctica. These losses, which may
have been going on for decades, outweighed the gains in snow and ice
seen in the East Antarctic ice sheet ..."   If this phenomenon has been
going on for decades then something even earlier than that would be the
cause. That would be before any predicted impact from human CO2 emissions.

Also, someone please point me to the part in the Press Release where
they claim it is due to anthropogenic warming.

See an Oct. 2001 report from the very same NASA/Goddard Space Flight
Center where they discussed  thinning ice from as early as 1979.
 http://www.gsfc.nasa.gov/topstory/20011001icepuzzle.html
See also http://www.gsfc.nasa.gov/topstory/20020820southseaice.html

Note that the press release also states that both in Anarctica AND in
Greenland there are areas where the ice is increasing. So it is not as
if the glaciers and ice are going to totally disappear.

And they even admit that they don't have all the answers. They say "
"The study indicates that the contribution of the ice sheets to
sea-level rise during the decade studied was much smaller than expected,
just two percent of the recent increase of nearly three millimeters
(0.12 inches) a year," Zwally said. "Current estimates of the other
major sources of sea-level rise - expansion of the ocean by warming
temperatures and runoff from low-latitude glaciers - do not make up the
difference, so we have a mystery on our hands as to where the water is
coming from. Continuing research using NASA satellites and other data
will narrow the uncertainties in this important issue and help solve the
mystery."

I also recall another story about melting ice caps due to global
warming. Go to
http://www.usatoday.com/news/science/astro/2001-12-07-mars-melting-icecap.htm
(or
http://www.innovations-report.com/html/reports/physics_astronomy/report-6484.html)
to find a story on the melting of Mars' polar "ice" caps due to global
warming.

Finally, one ought to read the article published in the Journal of
Glaciology (www.igsoc.org/news/pressreleases/Zwally509.pdf )
It has some interesting things to say.
1) this study only covers the period from 1992 to 2002. This is a mere
snapshot and does not tell us what the conditions were like prior to
1992. For all we know the conditions observed may be "normal".
2) there is a "near balance" in Greenland - in other words as much ice
is being added as is being lost.
3) the "overall net mass changes are small".

Does anyone on his forum think that Miguel Llanos, the person who wrote
the MSNBC article, actually read the Journal of Glaciology report or did
he just read the NASA press release and pick and choose the bits he
wanted in order to make a political point?

Chuck Dolci