TECHNET Archives

February 2006

Date:
Fri, 10 Feb 2006 11:34:22 -0500
Hi,

In discussion with European Commission, last week, the
representative indicated that the RoHS July 1st, 2006 date
will not be moving from a compliance stand point.

However, in discussion with various EU State
representatives, the "enforcement date" is anticipated to be
a moving target and at this time is really unclear if
enforcement dates would be announced.

Ireland has already begun WEEE enforcement for household
Electronics, at the retail store level, and has issued their
first fines.

Thus, I would work towards the July 1st, 2006 deadline or if
you are unable to meet this date seek risk assessment
guidance.

On the Automotive ELV (End of Life Vehicle Directive)
standpoint:
Reference: 2000/53/EC Directive paragraph section 11,
(11) "... In particular the use of lead, mercury, cadmium
and hexavalent chromium should be prohibited."

This directive has been amended multiple times with the
latest amendment completed September 20th, 2005 - addressing
the thresholds and exemption to hazardous substances for
vehicles: 2005/673/EC amending Annex II of Directive
2000/53/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council on
end-of-life vehicles.

On the reliability front - the impact is still unknown to
what the long term reliablity will be, However, from the
processing stand point Tin whiskers, Proper filling of thru
holes, and Solder plating corrosion - are all current
electronic industry issues and concerns in the conversion to
RoHS compliance.

I hope this helps.
Best regards,
Paula