TECHNET Archives

February 2006

From:
Paul Reid <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Paul Reid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Feb 2006 11:38:01 -0500
I have seen the "perfect mouse bite" condition a number of times.  The bite is perfectly round and on one side of the trace.  The most common cause is "hydrogen overvoltage".  I learned the term from AES (American Electroplaters Society).  It is a condition where small hydrogen bubbles are produced at the edge of the traces or around pads preventing plating.  The bubbles are caused by high voltage plating.  Understand that many platers (bumper platers) regulate the power going to the electrolytic bath by adjusting voltage.  The PWB industry controls power by controling amperage.  The PWB practice is to calculate the amps per square foot (ASF)for each job.  Controlled either way, if the current is too high you get bubbles, as water is broken down by a process call hydrolization.  Oxygen bubbles are formed on the anodes and hydrogen bubbles on the cathodes (PWB).  I have never seen mouse bites where air aggitation create the condition.  Aggitation by air, vibration and through hole aggitation removes the bubbles.

The bubbles are trapped on edges of traces that point "up" in the bath at the resist edge. Both side of the board may have the "bites" orented in the same direction. The bubble acts like spots of resist stoping plating under the bubble creating a small crater.  If this occurs in the copper bath it will present as neckdowns on the edges of traces.  If the bubble presents in the tin/lead process is there will be no tin/lead resist in spots at etching and the results if a perfectly round etchout.

The cause of the "hydrogen overvoltage" can by plating current being too high or a breakdown of the brightener system. High current is the most common cause. Uneven current distrubution due to racking, bussing and flight bar problems is a common cause when one cell of a bath produces the problem but another does not.  Errors in measuring or estamating plating surface area is suspect if the condition is related to a specific part number.  Rectifications issues are also implcated particularly if the fabriator is new to pulse plating or periodic reverse plating.  You also have all the factors contibuting to the brighter maintenance to consider including calculating adds, shelf life, carbon treatment, contaminates, etc.

Other similar problems may be caused by severly nodular copper plating, lifted resist in a print and etch process, resist contaminated sprays depositiing on developed borads or layers, but these causes present themselfs with random distribution on both side of the trace or pad.

Sincerely,

Paul Reid

Program Coordinator

PWB Interconnect Solutions Inc.