TECHNET Archives

February 2006

From:
Lee Whiteman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Lee Whiteman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Feb 2006 13:53:39 -0500
From the frozen tundra of Philadelphia...

In a prior life (1985 - 1990), I was part of a team which installed an Adept
(http://www.adept.com/) workcell which populated fine pitch SMT devices. We
acquired the hardware from a systems integrator, and the project was
considered a success when fully implemented.

The key is to develop a strong set of requirements / specifications.
Placement accuracy, repeatability, speed, vision systems requirements
(resolution), part introduction, pick and place pressure, workcenter
integration, are just a few of the issues that will have to be addressed.
You will probably have to work with a systems integrator, who will develop
the workcell around the robot that can meet your requirements.

A major challenge is the size of the end effector, the device which will
pick up the component. Some end effectors are purely mechanical based
(fingers), vacuum, or a combination of the two. This is critical since if
there is too much variation between components - large BGA vs. 0201 chip
component - you may have to acquire several end effectors, which means that
the system will have to utilize quick disconnect fixtures.

Another issue is programming ease. Depending on the sophistication of the
robot and its controller, programming it can be time consuming because you
have to program the unit in 3-D (X,Y,Z and theta (rotation)). Most component
placement systems operate in 2-D (X, Y, and theta (rotation)).

In closing, it is feasible to use a robot to populate boards. I'm sure that
the technology is more sophisticapted than what I experienced. I remember
our project cost over $ 100 K in the 1990's, so be aware that there is no
such thing as an inexpensive robot.

On a similar subject, suggest that you check out Isaac Asimov's 3 rules of
robotics. They are:

1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human
being to come to harm.

2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such
orders would conflict with the First Law.

3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does
not conflict with the First or Second Law.

While written in the 1940's for science fiction, their insight was very
appropriate for designing robotic workcells and flexible manufacturing
workcenters. Many system integrators take the first two (2) laws very
seriously in order to not injure an operator or the payload.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck.

Lee Whiteman
Senior Manufacturing Engineer
American Competitiveness Institute
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
Ph: (610) 362-1200 x208
Fax: (610) 362-1290

This message is for informational purposes only and does not supersede,
modify, or create any agreements with ACI. Information contained in this
message does not bind ACI or its affiliates to any commitment, either
express or implied, unless ratified in writing by an authorized
representative.