LEADFREE Archives

February 2006

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Jarek Stopczyk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Wed, 15 Feb 2006 08:47:25 -0600
Good Day,

My name is Jarek Stopczyk and I'm an EE, supporting manufacturing and I've
had plenty of exposure to the technical impact of RoHS. Currently I'm also
a graduate business student at University of Chicago and I'm researching
the "social impact of EU lead regulations (RoHS) on the manufacturer-vendor
relationship in the US".  If you's like to share your insight on the social
impact of this regulation I'd appreciate it.  Here are some questions that
might shed some light on the topic:

How did the electronic industry component and final product manufacturers
initially respond to RoHS? How did the response evolve over time?

Was the response of manufacturers in exempt industries (medical, aerospace,
military) the same as their non-exempt counter parts?  How did it the
evolve?

How big of a role did industry associations (Example: IPC, NIST, EIA) play
in RoHS compliance?  How did they interact with customers, government,
component and final product manufacturers?

RoHS brought quite a bit of uncertainty to the electronic industry.  How
did the industry respond to this uncertainty to bring order to the chaos?

What was the customer response to RoHS induced changes taken by the
industry?

What were the unforeseen impacts of RoHS on the electronic industry?  How
and when did they emerge?

What steps did final electronic product manufacturers take ensure that they
will be RoHS compliant?  What were the major obstacles in this process?
How did the supply chain change?

What is different from before to after RoHS impact in the context of doing
business with outside companies?

If you would pick from the above (or come up with your own response), I'd
appreciate your help.  The responses will be read, evaluated and possibly
quoted in my research paper.  If you'd like to contact me directly, by all
means, go ahead.

Thank You,

Jarek Stopczyk, P.E.