LEADFREE Archives

February 2006

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Kay Nimmo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Wed, 22 Feb 2006 09:36:13 -0000
RoHS banned all PBDE's and PBB's - including deca-BDE. It was a general
misconception that the listing of deca-BDE as an item for study also
meant that it was exempt - it was not exempt until the published
decision last year that specified that.

Bear in mind that several Member States and other organistaions are
strongly against this exemption for deca-BDE under RoHS and e.g. the
European Parliament is taking the Commission to court, challenging the
basis for that exemption, and aiming to achieve withdrawal of it.

Some countries are taking their own action e.g. Sweden proposes to ban
deca-BDE in products other than electronics.

There is a separate Directive 2003/11/EC (6 February 2003) ammending
76/769/EEC restrictions on marketing and use of dangerous substances
which already prohibits the use of;
penta-BDE (bromodiphenyl)
octa-BDE (bromodiphenyl)

By the way, there is a report on progress of the category 8 and 9 review
at the IPC-Soldertec conference in Malmo in April.

Kay