LEADFREE Archives

February 2006

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Werner Engelmaier <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Mon, 20 Feb 2006 22:14:25 EST
Hi Genny,
Nothing at this point, short of bombing the EU-parliament--and most likely
not even that--and not even taking my workshops, would explain everything and
make the sun shine again in your world. Confusion and uncertainty reins supreme.
First, yes, the Engelmaier-Wild model is mine.
Second, MIL-HDBK-217 is utterly useless as far as solder joint reliability is
concerned.
Third, ATC [accelerated temperature cycling] of actual product is rather time
consuming because you may not know when failures have occurred—remember,
solder joint failures show up as very short-duration intermittents.
Fourth, when you pick a temperature range, e.g., TC2 and a performance level,
e.g., NTC-C [1,000 cycles], that means you need to pass the 1,000 cycles witho
ut failures of any of the 32 samples on test—6 boards is statistically
non-robust, but since we are mostly guessing, what the hell.
Fifth, all the above is for SnPb-solders, but applies to LF-solders as well.
In addition, for LF-solders we do not as yet know how many cycles at what
temperature range correspond to what kind of product SJ reliability. My best
recommendation—with the understanding that we [the whole industry] are desperate,
is to use the Engelmaier-Wild model and apply a safety/uncertainty factor the
the number of cycles of perhaps about 5 or so [no guarantees—and yeah, that is
not what you want to hear, we should have all been screaming 5 years age, well
actually, some of us did].
By the way, you may want to attend my LF-Soldering Reliability Issues
workshop at the IPC/JEDEC conference in Santa Clara on March 7, and perhaps the first
3 SJ Reliability Series parts on March 6 as well.

Werner