TECHNET Archives

January 2006

From:
Terry Kozlyk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Terry Kozlyk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jan 2006 08:20:03 -0700
Thanks Yordan & everyone else.

(Bill, I still can't open your link...a common problem I had trying to
open a PDF file where it uses an ActiveX component...more work for a
rainy "maintenance" day)

You are correct! Shortly after sending this e-mail off, I did more
digging into specs & talking to our in-house assembly people.

Appears we initially assumed this connector to come in the reel with the
saddles DOWN, but they are mounted UP! This means we do NOT need any
fixturing as I proposed. As long as the panel has a milled out pocket
for the connector, the saddles (x2) will rest on the panel & hold the
connector in place, during pick & place, then reflow, placing the pin
datum at the same plane as the PCB connector pads.

This is a Compact Flash (CF) 50 pin connector, single sided. We went
with the saddles down because the left pin is numbered #1 & the right is
#50, (in the AVX mech spec) so that led us to position it with the
saddles down. The connector by itself is not polarized, but when you
install it into the CF enclosure, it now becomes polarized to prevent
the CF card from being installed upside down into the PC CF slot.

We can install it this way, as long as we don't get hung up on the AVX
spec denoting pin 1 being totally opposite from ours. I guess I should
note that in the NOTES section of our assembly drawing so in case these
stop working, down the road, some inspector doesn't flag the connector
being reversed as the cause.

Surprised that AVX does denote pin #'s on this connector as many don't.
Not to is probably the safest way to go as its up to each
user/application to number pins the way they want. They may just to
confirm orientation for correct dimensions being read.

The issues related to fixturing was noted & good points to consider. The
margins on this product are not that lucrative so as to cover the
additional costs of fixturing, manual preparation, etc. When I design
PCB's I don't like to incur any additional or special handling, not to
mention fixturing. I like to keep yields up & make the assemblers life
easy, not to mention test & ongoing support & maintenance towards
product end-of-life.

Many thanks again.
Regards
TDK