TECHNET Archives

January 2006

From:
"Tempea, Ioan" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Tempea, Ioan
Date:
Tue, 31 Jan 2006 11:56:24 -0500
Phil,

I would look at 4 things:
*       design of landpattern: as per Werner, the pad shall be not wider than the component; the longer the joint, the more stress on the part
*       position of the component: if on bottom side and sees wave soldering, this is your trouble. Never wave these babies. In case the designer does not want to move them, you can manually solder them after, using hot air and not the iron
*       position of the component again: should be at at least 0.200" from the edge to minimize stress during depanelizing or to avoid having them bumped in the storing magazines
*       touch-up: never with the iron, always with hot air.

Now, the above are general considerations. On a 2x2 you should be very particular with depanelizing. If routed panel, do not place mouse bites where the caps are. If V-groove, you can rout inside the breakaways at the level of these parts. And, of course, use a depanelizer, not the pliers. Also, I would make sure to spec a 16 mil web thickness for the scoring, not more.

Good luck,
Ioan