TECHNET Archives

January 2006

From:
Happy Holden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Jan 2006 14:48:05 -0500
Hi Bill,
I find the Polar SB200 with the linked SI8000 (I think they call this
SB8000) does this very well.  The materials library function allows you to
capture what each fabricator has for finished press thicknesses, and the
"Stack-up Wizard" allows very fast creation of stackups which can then be
linked to the impedance calculations.  Other features I like is the
capacitance and inductance calculations, and the ability to use an Excel
spreadsheet to do Monte Carlo Simulations of impedances "As-Built" from a
producer and to calculate cross-talk.
The resulting .SCI file can be viewed by customers with a free viewer.
This way they can see the materials, the DRC, and the impedance
calculations.  Many OEMs are using the screens from the free viewer of
SB200 to document the impedances in their BluePrints.

A report on this software is available from the CircuiTree web site, from
the Feb, 2005 edition.

Happy Holden
Westwood Associates

"Brooks,Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>
01/27/2006 06:25 PM
Please respond to
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>; Please respond to
"Brooks,Bill" <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
[TN] Impedance/ Diff pairs/ layer stack up calculator?

We want to evaluate the usefulness of a software tool for calculating
differential pairs, and estimating stack up requirements for multi layer
boards... Primarily to estimate the correct line width and spacing
required
in any given design stack up or material combination.

Can any of you recommend a tool to do this sort of job that you find
useful?
I'd like to look at low, med and high end tools and characterize them
based
on price vs. performance and/or capabilities.

Best regards,

Bill Brooks - KG6VVP
PCB Design Engineer, C.I.D.+, C.I.I.

3030 Enterprise Court, Vista, CA 92083
http://www.dtwc.com <http://www.dtwc.com>
Tel: (760)597-1500 Ext 3772 Fax: (760)597-1510
e-mail:[log in to unmask]
Member of the San Diego Chapter of the IPC Designers Council
Communications Officer, Web Manager
http://dcchapters.ipc.org/SanDiego/ <http://dcchapters.ipc.org/SanDiego/>
http://pcbwizards.com <http://pcbwizards.com>