TECHNET Archives

January 2006

From:
Stephen Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Stephen Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jan 2006 14:09:22 -0600
Afternoon All,

Today we had one of our final inspectors spot something on a board that was
getting ready to ship, that I'd like for you all to look at and offer an opinion if you would...BTW, the board has been tested and coated (with urethane).

Anyways, our inspector spotted a pad on the backside of a connector lead that looks like it has a piece of it missing. Take a look at:

http://stevezeva.homestead.com/files/Pad_Damage.jpg

and:

http://stevezeva.homestead.com/files/Pad_Damage_2.jpg

Not really sure if the board was like that from the beginning, or if it happened possibly during the lead clipping step just before wave solder. Bottom-line is that we've spotted it. Of course our customer is going to have the final say on what we are to do about it, but I'd like your opinion on the problem.

The -610 says at 10.2.9.3 that damage to a conductor/land is a defect, cut and dried. But then there is the practical side...

Does this look bad enough that you would go through all the hassle of having to strip the coating, remove the connector, and repair the pad? Do you think that the performance is compromised with this issue?

Just curious what you all think...

Stephen Gregory
Senior Process Engineer
LaBarge Incorporated