TECHNET Archives

January 2006

From:
Phil Nutting <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Phil Nutting <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jan 2006 13:32:32 -0500
In a previous life, a loooong time ago, we used 3140 and 3144 to coat
circuit boards that were going on research payloads on rockets.  As I
remember the 3140 has a viscosity somewhat thicker then molasses and
made a nice conformal coating, but you did need to make sure it had a
way to keep it contained until it cured.  The 3144 was more like tub
caulk and needed more work to make it "look nice".

Keep in mind that many RTVs use an acetyl cure, hence the stinky foot
smell during curing.  The Dow Corning 737 RTV is a neutral cure material
that sticks very well.  We have switch all our RTV usage to the 737
product.

The acetyl cure also generates acetic acid during cure and can etch bare
copper, so this may not be your first choice.

Phil Nutting