TECHNET Archives

January 2006

From:
Lee Whiteman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Lee Whiteman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jan 2006 16:52:45 -0500
Neil,

I echo Dave Hillman's response, but with a few caveats.

Up to January, 2005, I thought that it was required to use Nitrogen with
Lead Free solders. Since then, having run hardware without Nitrogen and with
Nitrogen in our Demostration Factory, plus the work done on the JG-PP / JCAA
Lead Free Program, I feel that Nitrogen is not required but a good option to
have.

Controlling your inventory environment will reduce the probability of
hardware becoming oxidized which will lead to poor solderability. The GIGO -
garbage in garbage out - rule applies in this case. Hardware thought to be
acceptable with Tin Lead (SnPb) may not be acceptable for Lead Free alloys
because these alloys do not wet as well as Tin Lead (SnPb). Of course you
can use a really active solder flux to get the alloy to wet better, but then
your cleaning processes would have to become more aggressive to remove the
residues.

Nitrogen will reduce the amount of residues on the board and the solder
joints will look brighter. It will open that process window to solder
hardware which may be marginal. With Tin Lead (SnPb), using Nitrogen it may
be possible to solder marginal material (boards, components, etc.)depending
on how bad the material is. However, since most Lead Free alloys do not wet
as well as Tin Lead (SnPb), if you have marginal material, Lead Free
soldering may be more difficult.

If you don't have Nitrogen, you probably would have to control your
inventory tighter than for Tin Lead (SnPb). If you have Nitrogen, then save
it for emergencies and use it as required. A potential thought would be to
use a Nitrogen Generator but I don't know if there are any available that
can support a reflow oven or wave soldering system. I heard some rumors that
there are but I have no first hand knowledge.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

Lee Whiteman
Senior Manufacturing Engineer
American Competitiveness Institute
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
Ph: (610) 362-1200 x208
Fax: (610) 362-1290

This message is for informational purposes only and does not supersede,
modify, or create any agreements with ACI. Information contained in this
message does not bind ACI or its affiliates to any commitment, either
express or implied, unless ratified in writing by an authorized
representative.