TECHNET Archives

January 2006

From:
Date:
Mon, 16 Jan 2006 07:59:27 -0600
Others have responded that the cost of immersion silver is usually much
less than ENIG.
But what you need to consider also is whether to use the nickel with
flash gold, standard electroless nickel/immersion gold (ENIG), or
immersion silver.
When soldering to the immersion silver finish the silver will be
absorbed into the solder and the solder joint will be formed on copper.
With the flash gold over nickel or the ENIG plating the gold will be
absorbed into the solder and you will form a solder joint to the nickel.
Either of the flash gold over nickel or ENIG requires plating of nickel,
and as such the process is susceptible to nickel skips, which you have
already experienced. Not much fun.

The solder joints formed on copper will be stronger than those formed on
nickel because of nickel's much slower rate of dissolution into the
solder joint. Because of the slower dissolution rate, the assembly
requires more heat, and for a longer time, especially under the BGAs.
BGAs do an excellent job of insulating the solder spheres.
If you have BGAs or chip scale components, you will be much better off
with immersion silver finish on the PWB. If you have high impedance/high
frequency circuitry you will also be much better off with immersion
silver.
Buy a sample of boards and qualify the assembly with the different
plating no matter which one you choose.