LEADFREE Archives

January 2006

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
John Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 17 Jan 2006 07:25:39 -0500
Bev,
Can I get a copy of your paper,
     B. Christian and A. Culver, Tin Pest Disease, International Lead
     Free Conference, Toronto, May 2005   ?

I have Backer's paper,
     Becker, J. H., "On the Quality of Gray Tin Crystals and Their Rate
     of Growth," Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 29 no. 7, pp.
     1110-1121, July 1958.

Is JEDEX the same as the IPC/JEDEC Nth International Conference on Lead
Free Electronic Components and Assemblies?  I have
     Sweatman, Keith, Suenaga, Shoichi, and Nishimura, Tetsuro,
     "Suppression of Tin Pest in Lead-free Solders," IPC/JEDEC 8th
     International Conference on Lead Free Electronic Components and
     Assemblies , San Jose, CA, Apr. 18-20, 2005, pp. xx-xx.

If so, that should also help me find
     Vo, N., "Whisker Growth Evaluations of Tin-Based Plating Finishes",
     JEDEX 2002 Conference, Santa Clara, CA, Mar. 25, 2002
which has been on my want list (
     http://www.dbicorporation.com/rohswant.htm   )
for some months.

I hadn't run across that conference, either, so it looks like another
good one to check out.  In December I applied for membership in SMTA,
NMFRC, IMAPS, and TMS.  I've spent the last five weeks working my way
through the online archives of the SMTA (http://www.smta.org/) and the
National Metal Finishing Resource Center (http://www.nmfrc.org/).  Just
last week I received notice that I had been accepted into IMAPS and TMS,
so I was going to start working through the IMAPS online archives
tonight.

But I think I'll take a short detour to focus on tin pest for awhile.  I
have 4-1/2 shelves of books (and photocopies of the pertinent sections
of library books) on lead-free electronics and related subjects.  I'll
check their references and bibliographies tonight, merge them with the
references that you sent me, and hit the University of Kentucky
libraries tomorrow night.  Since Christmas 2004 I've made 104 trips to
local libraries, and 18 trips to out-of-town/out-of-state libraries on
this project, averaging about one library trip every three days...

My girlfriend (an ex-elementary school librarian) thinks that I've gone
insane, being so obsessed by this one project.  She may be right,
although I'm having a ball!  But I'd be a lot happier if I found *some*
evidence that RoHS-compliant electronics will have even a hope of
approaching the proven quality, longevity, and reliability of our
current lead-bearing electronics.  I've been working fulltime since
September helping a client develop a major RoHS-compliant product, and
it really disturbs me to feel that these units may only have a 2-3 year
lifetime just BECAUSE they are RoHS-compliant...

If you ever get a chance to browse through my books Robust Electronic
Design Reference Book, Volumes 1 and 2 (
http://www.dbicorporation.com/book-out.htm   ), you will see that
throughout my career I've striven to design products and equipment that:
*  Can be introduced into new markets without redesign.
*  Can be manufactured for years without redesign.
*  Can deliver decades of use, without major service, if desired.

So these well-meaning legislative attempts (RoHS Directive, Senate Bill
20) to make electronics "environmentally friendly"-- but threaten to
have a major unanticipated side effect of turning most electronics into
junk after just a couple of years-- really, really bother me.

I'd be a heck of a lot more comfortable with the situation if the RoHS
Directive allowed up to, say, 4-5% lead in electronic solders and
platings.  But as is, the best I can do is to:
*  Continue researching these areas, and share my findings via our
   website, journal articles, and maybe another book sometime in the
   future.
*  Work with our clients on their new products, to help make them meet
   EMC/EMI/ESD, safety, and environmental requirements.
*  Suggest to people the best ways that I can see to protect themselves
   and their property from the environmental/legislative idiots who are
   parading under the banner "Lead is Bad, Ban Lead from Everything!".

Thanks!

John Barnes KS4GL, PE, NCE, NCT, ESDC Eng, ESDC Tech, PSE, SM IEEE
dBi Corporation
http://www.dbicorporation.com/