DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

January 2006

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Susan C. James" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Thu, 19 Jan 2006 09:35:31 -0600
Bob and Jack,

We're using IAg finish.  Some out there will disagree, but we see potential
problems with the other finishes that we want to avoid.  That's not to say
IAg is perfect.  I suspect that lead-free HASL may take a stronger foothold
someday, but for now it seems that there are not a lot of suppliers
offering it.  But with BGAs you probably won't want to use any kind of HASL
(we don't use them here).

Laminate choice is key to a successful lead-free program.  We spec laminate
and prepreg per IPC-4101B/99 (not yet released [I think]) with a specific
requirement of 170 degrees C min. Tg.  I send a copy of the /99 sheet with
the fab drawing.  It's been argued that the slash sheets don't provide the
best selection criteria, but it's a very good place to start.

Here are some key points from a white paper I wrote for my company.  Of
course, this info will be dependant upon your product and assembly
requirements, along with product environment and life cycle issues.

<snips>
PCB reliability factors include the ability to withstand environmental and
thermal stresses.  Field performance is affected by the laminate, hole wall
and interconnect strength, surface finish, assembly and rework processes.
An important question to consider is what life will be left after the
rigors of assembly and rework.

Major decision making elements:

   Thermal performance of the resin system
         Decomposition temperature (Td)
         Coefficient of thermal expansion (CTE)
         Glass transition temperature (Tg)
         Continuous operating temperature
         Curing agent
   Environmental properties
         Moisture absorption rate
         CAF resistance
   Flame retardant mechanism
   Electrical properties
   Storage, shelf life, handling
<end snips>

Also remember that the time board materials see at temperature is
cumulative.  This is one reason why some are over-spec'ing their laminates,
along with the fact that there's just a lot of unknowns.  Not a lot of
empirical data out there but more is accumulating.

Sign up for the TechNet and LeadFree forums.  There are experts there who
share info and give good advice.  Hope this helps.

Regards,
Sue James
Taylor Company
815-624-5444