DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

January 2006

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Jack C. Olson" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Tue, 10 Jan 2006 12:58:22 -0600
I am a Mentor Graphics Boardstation/RE user (and have
never used the software you are using now), but I
have two comments

1) If your tool does a good job with keeping a sch and layout
in sync, and you can use it to produce good designs with
reliable data files, why not do project and documentation
management separately? I'm only asking because I use a
good tool, but if Mentor has project management I've not
heard about it and have certainly never used it.

2) If you are really looking for a new mid-range tool, I
would recommend PADS, even though I have never used it.
a) It is owned by a good stable company that I feel will
be around for a long time, and they have the resources to
care for it
b) There are a LOT of other users out there who can help
c) Mentor customer support has always been GOOD to me

Those might not be the most obvious factors people look
at when choosing a tool, but I think they are important.

best wishes in your new career!

Jack

Heather Gregg <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: DesignerCouncil <[log in to unmask]>
01/10/2006 09:27 AM
Please respond to
"(Designers Council Forum)" <[log in to unmask]>; Please respond to
Heather Gregg <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
[DC] EDA Software-- Any opinions?

Caterpillar: Confidential Green Retain Until: 02/09/2006        Retention
Category:  G90 - General Matters/Administration

Hello,
I'm relatively new to PCB design (at it for <6 mos. now) but I have
worked in electronic manufacturing and engineering positions for 12
years. The company I work for recently choose to use the Electronics
Workbench MultiSIM/UltiBoard/UltiRoute software and I am the main guinea
pig working with it. Several other engineers do schematic work, but I am
the sole PCB designer. As I am learning and growing into a (hopefully)
competent designer, I have found myself less and less impressed with the
EWB software. It is a good intuitive suite to start with, especially for
learning the ropes, but I feel it's lacking features essential to
professional design work. For instance, the parts database and reporting
is lame or non-existent. Project and documentation management is also
missing.

I have been looking at forums and websites to get a feel for what is out
there and I would like your opinions too. So far, I am leaning towards
choosing OrCAD or Altium Designer. Which would you choose? Any other you
would recommend instead?

Of course, the next battle is getting my manager to agree to spend $$$
on new software so soon after spending so much on EWB. ;)

Thanks for your time,
Heather Gregg
PCB Design Engineer

To temporarily stop/(restart) delivery of DesignerCouncil send: SET
DesignerCouncil NOMAIL/(MAIL)
E-mail Archives