TECHNET Archives

December 2005

From:
"Brooks,Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brooks,Bill
Date:
Wed, 7 Dec 2005 08:56:56 -0800
And...another aspect of the equation is that the assembly house does not
actually have complete control over the soldering statistics... It might not
be obvious at first glance but built into those numbers is a dependence upon
how well the PCB Designer does their job of providing correct land
geometries, component spacing, thermal relief, and planning for copper
distribution, etc., this has a big effect on their successful soldering
numbers. The particular design being built really plays a large roll in the
success of the assembly house in getting all the solder joints soldered
correctly on all the boards they build and the assembly engineers are
challenged daily to come up with ways to overcome deficiencies in design and
'make' the assembly work. My hat is off to the folks who make their living
overcoming difficult design driven assembly problems on a daily basis... you
guys and gals are 'wizards' in your own right. The more training we get as
designers on how to make their lives easier the better the statistics will
be as well.

Best regards,

Bill Brooks - KG6VVP
PCB Design Engineer, C.I.D.+, C.I.I.
Tel: (760)597-1500 Ext 3772 Fax: (760)597-1510
Datron World Communications, Inc.
San Diego Chapter of the IPC Designers Council
Communications Officer, Web Manager
http://dcchapters.ipc.org/SanDiego/
http://pcbwizards.com