TECHNET Archives

December 2005

From:
"Stadem, Richard" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Stadem, Richard
Date:
Wed, 28 Dec 2005 09:05:35 -0600
The recent (last two or three weeks) threads on this subject were started by myself and Werner 8 weeks ago, when I wrote a posting to let everyone know that we need better standards to ensure PWB resistance to delamination.
This came about because several of my clients were having troubles with meeting Pb-free process temperatures with pwbs that were made of superior materials, but still delaminated. There was also a rash of via reliability problems from Z-axis expansion at the higher temperatures in reflow.

In addition, because many different BGA packages were recently released to the industry with lead-free balls, and the BGAs were no longer available with 63/37 balls, many people reported on this forum that they were having reliability issues both with Pb-free balls and boards that were not intended to be used at the slightly higher reflow temperatures needed as a result. In other words, all of the other components on their assemblies had lead-free finishes that would solder up just fine with 63/37 solder paste, but they needed a higher temperature to solder the Pb-free BGAs. If they did not increase the temperature, the resulting solder joint was not homogenous, and had many lead-rich zones.

I proposed creating some type of standard at that time where the pwbs would be "graded" to meet certain time/temperature minimums, which Werner suggested would be better met with a STII, and I agreed.

The PWB vendors shot it down at an IPC meeting when Werner proposed it.
After I pointed out to the PWB vendors that it would protect them as well as their customers, more postings were issued, such as those from Valerie and others, that at least opened up discussion, but we learned that many others contributed to the ultimate ability of the PWB to withstand certain temperatures.

It is very clear from all of these postings that some type of rating system, or better methods of PWB fabrication were needed, so that PWBs can withstand slightly higher temperatures (220-240 deg. C) without delamination, blistering, and severe Z-axis expansion where 63/37 solder paste is used, but BGAs with Pb-free balls are present.

Much better fabrication procedures are definitely necessary where Pb-free solder paste is used in a pure Pb-free process at reflow temperatures in the 250-260 C range.

From all of the postings from Mansilla, et al, my understanding is that all of the slash sheets are useless in determining the ability of a given PWB to withstand delamination, blistering, and excessive Z-axis expansion.

Many of the PWB vendors stated that the end-user (customer) needed to work hand-in-hand with the fabricator to make sure the requirements were understood. Nobody argues with that, that is a given. But it often does not happen.

Others proposed using a coupon to run through the reflow to check for these issues, and others suggested using the solder float test. Many responded that neither one of those is an infallible test, and I think we all also agree with that.

That is where we are now.