TECHNET Archives

December 2005

From:
Richard Kraszewski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Richard Kraszewski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Dec 2005 18:15:27 -0500
Closest that I see anyone coming to trying to define a composite formula on this topic is Werner Engelmaier.  The formula seems very reasonable and in-line with my thoughts on the subject. There were some earlier TechNet discussions on this topic.  To save you the bother of searching the archives on this topic, listed below were his comments:

"Tg is not the whole story, you also need to   look at Td [decomposition
temerature] as well as the CTE. I recommend PCB materials with a STII [Soldering temperature impact index] of at least 215. The STII is defined as

STII= [Tg + Td]/2 - [% thermal expansion from 50 to 260 C]x10

You may be interested in my workshop on PCB reliability at NPL on October 13.

Regards,
Werner Engelmaier
Engelmaier Associates, L.C.
Electronic Packaging, Interconnection and Reliability Consulting
7 Jasmine Run
Ormond Beach, FL 32174 USA
Phone: 386-437-8747, Fax: 386-437-8737, Cell: 386-316-5904
E-mail: [log in to unmask], Website: www.engelmaier.com"

Rich K / KEDS
260.925.8719