TECHNET Archives

December 2005

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Dec 2005 13:28:14 +0200
Doug

a) a pacemaker is in a hermetically sealed titanium case, so lead cannot
leach out (otherwise it would leach out in the implantee's body!)
b) I'm told the pacemaker I wear has no solder in it, anyway, as the
joints are all in silver-bearing conductive adhesive
c) funeral directors, undertakers, croque-morts, doctors, nurses etc.
remove all metal from cadavers, in any case, (gold teeth, amalgams
because of mercury, titanium in hip joints, jewellery etc. are all
moneyable and pacemakers are sold to developing countries for recycling
if the batteries still have some good life in them). In any case, a
pacemaker accidentally left in will explode violently during cremation,
prematurely scattering the ashes to Kingdom come and damaging the oven!

Lugubrious thoughts for Happy Holidays! :-)

Brian