TECHNET Archives

December 2005

From:
Charlie McMahon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Charlie McMahon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Dec 2005 15:26:00 -0500
Good Afternoon Valerie:

Your response and expertise relative to this subject is most appreciated.

As one whose interest lies in those designs incorporating high end flex
rigid and rigid, I will stipulate to the "suggestion" by UL to consider the
pcb "industry" suggestion to go to a 288C test as a starting point relative
to a new coupon strategy to show compliance with LF and RoHAS standards.

I agree with the multiplicity of laminate/component/assembly issues that you
pose below as being broader in their implications as to determining the
temperature capability of bare laminate.

As suggested earlier, the method for success in the new N-L world would be
to meet these high heat exposure challenges through a co-operative
engineering mode..namely, if you know there are high heat parts in the
assembly, the correct material can thusly be anticipated and identified for
use.

The notion that we should continue the bunker mentality of defending our
particular discipline (read: fabricators) while accepting no responsibility
or understanding of the subsequent impact of follow on processing (read:
component choice and assembly process) is a recipe for failure going
forward.

We must breakdown these provincial barriers between disciplines and allow
those in research, design, manufacturing and processes, both vendor and end
user, to work as a team, as one entity. Thusly we will foresee problems of
production and in use that may be encountered with the product.

It is my view that the time is now to put into place such protocols that
will allow such interaction.

The one requirement is that customers, upon choosing vendors of like mind,
must work in a mode of "open kimono communication" to achieve success. The
time for self-righteous protection of so-called manufacturing secrets that
hindered open manufacturing discussions has hurt our industry.

I truly believe that one method of common ground would be a coupon approval
structure that would ensure that materials chosen would perform at the level
the particular assembly would require. The result, in my opinion, is one in
which we all would enjoy higher profitability and long term success along
with job stability for all (of those left!) in the pcb industry in the US.

Charlie McMahon

McMahon Sales Company

P.O. Box 1024

Windham, New Hampshire  03087