TECHNET Archives

December 2005

From:
- Bogert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, - Bogert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Dec 2005 16:29:21 -0500
December 19, 2005

The blast method words good for removing Type UR conformal coating.  The main disadvantage is that it is a slow process.  The biggest concern is to make sure the machine has built in ESD protection and that you check that it is operating properly prior to each use of the machine.  The best way to do this is to measure the actual ESD voltage generated when using the blast spray attachment.  Don't count on equipment calibration for this.  We had an OEM use the machine that was in calibration (the calibration verified the ESD protection was working) but the machine ESD protection subsequently failed and this failure was transparent to the OEM.  Consequently, a number of PWA components were damaged from ESD voltage generated from the blasting process.  The blasting process can generate damaging ESD voltage if not properly controlled.