TECHNET Archives

December 2005

From:
Joe Fjelstad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Dec 2005 16:46:21 EST
You are up late again, Inge.

The long Swedish nights this time of year are good for pondering the future,
it is clear.. ;-)

At my little company, we have been working on the interconnection challenge
for the last 4 plus years and have some thoughts on the matter that we have
shared in articles in PCB Design and Fabrication earlier this year and in
Circuitree last month. The links to the articles are below.

http://www.siliconpipe.com/resources/docs/AlternativePCDarchitecture.pdf

http://www.siliconpipe.com/resources/docs/CircuiTree1Nov05.pdf

One thing that must happen, we feel, is that we must rethink interconnection
and assembly protocols while keeping cost down. It seems very possible.

Our demonstration showed it possible to send 10Gbps signals over backplane
distances (30 inches) at low power (less than 2% of that specified by the chip
developer to go only 1/3 the distance we transmitted). We believe that this
indicates that interconnection could well move ahead of ICs in terms of data
transmission rate capability relieving the interconnection bottleneck but it will
require the industry's thought and effort to make it happen.

In that respect, two proverbs come to mind one is: "If you want to make an
omelet your going to have to break some eggs." The other is a Russian proverb
that was quoted to me when I was working there that went something to the effect
of: "One man standing alone in the field is not an army"

You noted a need for a new generation of boards but perhaps we also need a
new generation of thoughts.

Now go and get some sleep... ;-)

Very best,
Joe