TECHNET Archives

December 2005

From:
"Stadem, Richard" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Stadem, Richard
Date:
Tue, 13 Dec 2005 07:01:56 -0600
Paul,
This is not too long of a message at all. This is an excellent message.
I worked in the industry as a consulting engineer prior to coming to
work at GD. Many of my clients are currently reporting that PWB
delamination is a major problem for them as they go to higher temps to
accomodate Pb-free BGAs and flipchips. Repeatedly, the pwb materials are
rated for Pb-free processing, and the Tg and Td ratings are purportedly
good enough to withstand the higher temps, but the boards delaminate,
even after baking to remove moisture. They are delaminating at
temperatures as low as 230 C, and that is the chamber temperature, not
the board. I brought this up in several postings to the Technet forum
last month. There has been much discussion about it.

There needs to be a time/temperature rating on pwbs for resistance to
delamination, just like there is a moisture classification on
components. The other properties of the materials are meaningless if
they pop in the reflow oven or during hot-gas rework.