TECHNET Archives

December 2005

From:
Lee parker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Lee parker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Dec 2005 17:09:19 -0500
John

I believe the Polar web site shows the typical geometry of the electro-magnetic flux lines extending from the signal trace to the reference ground. They are distributed along the sides of the trace from the top of the copper to the dielectric. I always use the entire copper thickness of the trace for the impedance calculation. You may have in mind the skin effect which is a different issue altogether. If the frequency is in the range of gigahertz the skin effect becomes important when calculating the ohmic contribution of  the resistance ("R") since most of the current is transported within the outer portion of the trace; not the core, the effective copper thickness is greatly reduced.

Best regards

Lee

J. Lee Parker, Ph.D.
JLP Consultants LLC