LEADFREE Archives

December 2005

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Genny Gibbard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Wed, 7 Dec 2005 10:55:18 -0600
I think the intention was, as well, to avoid those who IMMEDIATELY
thought, 'well, if it is based on the total weight of my product, I'll
just make it weigh more, and then I am compliant'.
I can't tell you how many people already suggested to me that we just
add a brick or two to our products, until I explained to them the
established definition of the term "homogeneous".

I do think that they should have, moreso, used the total weight of each
substance in the product (ie all solder on the product, not each
individual solder joint).  Then if one solder joint accidentally gets
contaminated, it is less likely to mean the whole product is
contaminated.
But I suppose there might be people who would somehow take advantage of
that, as well.