EMBEDDEDNET Archives

December 2005

EmbeddedNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Rick Ulrich <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
D-50 Embedded Devices Committee Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Rick Ulrich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Dec 2005 09:14:41 -0600
Thanks Bill !

Yeah, I'm high with the BaTiO3 k in particle form.  I'll tone that
down to about a thousand, and the point of the column still works.

CP and I (and Len Schaper) have a little difference of opinion on how
that flake conductor mechanism works.  For those not familiar with
it, the flakes are conductive, not dielectric, and you get this huge
effective k near the percolation point.  As your slides show, you
also get a huge DF.  CP thinks its some sort of double layer effect,
but Len and I think that it's really just a way to get an effectively
small polymer layer.  If you drill that molecule-wide hole down
through this sort of dielectric, you pass alternately through polymer
and metal flake.  The flakes don't support any field, but the polymer
in between them is very thin, especially near percolation, of
course.  So, if you add up the total amount of polymer you pass
through, it's very thin and you get a high capacitance.  I prefer to
call this an "effective k" instead of a "k", because you really
haven't changed the dielectric constant of anything, you just have a
thin dielectric in the form of a printable thick film.  I expect that
breakdown voltage and leakage measurements would show this.  I'm not
sure, though, why the DF is so high.

I know of at least one other company that messed around with this
some years before CP was looking at it, but they dropped it because
it was too hard to manufacture that close to the percolation point,
giving very poor tolerance.

Thanks for the comments and, yes, "exits" should be "exists".

- Rick

Dr. Richard Ulrich
Professor
Dept. of Chemical Engineering