EMBEDDEDNET Archives

December 2005

EmbeddedNet@IPC.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
EmbeddedNet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Dec 2005 07:31:03 -0500
From:
William J Borland <[log in to unmask]>

Rick,

Just a couple of points:

1. Barium titanate tends to have dielectric constants in powder form of

around 2000 ( work done at Rolla). Thus is due to the crystal size being

small and the Curie point being at 125C. So mixing a K of 2000 with a K of

4 will get you even lower composite K if you use the log mixing rule

2. Putting extremely high levels of powder into a screen printable

composition creates difficulty in printing and when cured has reduced

cohesive strength

Some work by C.P  Wong at Ga Tech was directed towards getting high K

composite systems by mixing flake conductor particles  into a resin and at

a particular loading of particles forming millions of small thin capacitors

( in parallel) but we tried it and it never came to anything. Here is a

presentation on it. There may be some papers published on it somewhere.

(See attached file: PRC HiK material-0901.ppt)

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Regards

             Rick Ulrich

             Sent by:                  [log in to unmask]

             EmbeddedNet                                                cc

             org>                                                  Subject

                                       [EM] Embedded Passives Column #14

             12/20/2005 02:39

             PM

             Please respond to

               D-50 Embedded

             Devices Committee

                   Forum

               org>; Please

                respond to

                Rick Ulrich

Here’s a draft of my upcoming column for CircuiTree magazine,

probably to run in March. I like to show these around to my

colleagues in the business to make sure they are as accurate as

possible, so please look it over in the next few days and let me know

if there is anything you think needs changing.  I'll be in the EPUG

conference call tomorrow, too.

- Rick Ulrich

for “Embedded Passive Update” column, CircuiTree, March 2006

Ferro-Filled Polymer Dielectrics: Promises and Problems

Rick Ulrich

It would be the perfect board-level embeddable dielectric.  A screen-

printable paste, storable for months, processable by standard methods

familiar to all board shops, curable in minutes at mild temperatures,

low waste, no degrading effects on other layers, and high

capacitance.  And it exits for you to use today.  Well, all except

for that high capacitance part.

The idea is simple: mix a high-k ferroelectric powder into a curable

polymer binder, screen print, and cure in place. For example, BaTiO3

can be produced in bulk as submicron particles with dielectric

constants in the thousands.  For the binder phase, I know of no

polymer with a k higher than about 12, so the selection of the binder

phase is driven by usability considerations such as printability,

cure conditions, and stability.  The natural choice is either an

epoxy or a polyimide, both with k’s in the range of 3 to 4.  So let’s

mix barium titanate particles with k = 10,000 and an epoxy with k =

3.  Naturally, you want as much high-k filler as possible, so how

much can you put in?  The densest possible spherical packing is

hexagonal close-pack at 74% by volume which, as every teenager that

works in the grocery store knows, is how you stack oranges so they

won’t roll away.  Since barium titanate has a density near 5.9 and

epoxy is usually a little less than one, the  mixture ends up about

95% by weight of the high-k phase.

The advantage of this approach is that much of the processing, and

all of the high temperature steps necessary to get high k from the

ferroelectric phase, can be done in advance of application to the

organic substrate.  Processing is additive so there is no patterning

and little waste.  No vacuum equipment is required and cure

temperatures are comfortably low for the rest of the board and

components.  Because the films are thicker than sputtered, sol-gel or

CVD, the working voltages are higher, on the order of 100’s of volts,

and leakage at common board voltages is almost too low to be

measured. Pinholes can be eliminated through multiple printings.

But, despite the overwhelming preponderance of k = 10,000 phase over

k = 3 phase, the overall dielectric constant of the random mixture

will end up being only about 10 - 40, much closer to that of the low-

k phase.  You can understand why the mixing rules are not kind to

this approach if you imagine drilling a molecule-wide hole down

through this compound dielectric from one plate to the other.  You

would alternately pass through regions of high-k and low-k materials,

and that’s exactly what the electric field between the plates sees:

dielectrics in series.  As capacitors are placed in series, the

overall value drops, and the same effect causes the overall k of a

randomly-dispersed composite material to be close to the lower-k

phase.  It doesn’t matter which one is dispersed and which is

continuous, each field line sees this as alternating stacked

dielectrics.  A printed 10 micron thick film would deliver about 1 to

4 nF/cm2, and that’s about the most you can get from this approach.

Attempts have been made to increase the high-k loading by using a

multi-disperse set of filler sizes and shapes, with the idea that the

small particles will nestle in between the big ones, and this can

give up to 85% by volume or about 98% by weight.  But this still does

not increase the overall capacitance density very much and also

creates problems of printability, adhesion and mechanical stability

at such high solids loadings.  Another problem is that screen

printing or stenciling is not amenable to tight tolerances and there

is no technology currently available for continuous trimming of

embedded caps.  Trim tabs can always be used to decrease the value in

a stepwise fashion by removing capacitor area, but this method

requires extra area of its own, further decreasing the effective

capacitance density.

But it’s still a good idea.  It does provide an order of magnitude

more capacitance than unfilled polymers, but two orders of magnitude

less than the more-expensive thin-film paraelectrics (up to about 300

nF/cm2) and pure ferroelectric films (1000’s of nF/cm2).  The trick

to increasing capacitance is to somehow stack the high-k phase so

that it is vertically continuous over as wide an area as possible.

Some kind of self-assembly or self-orientation would be necessary,

then we’ll have a technology that can significantly advance the cause

of embedded passives.

Dr. Richard Ulrich

Professor

Dept. of Chemical Engineering