TECHNET Archives

November 2005

From:
- Bogert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, - Bogert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Nov 2005 14:05:38 -0500
November 6, 2005

Hi Steve, it was nice talking to you at the WORKS conference.  As you probably are aware, the PWA's you make for DRS-M have a higher level document (MIL-C-23200) invoked than J-STD-00 or IPC-A-610.  The MIL-C-23200 document mandates that if a part specification mandates that part marking be permanent, then no subsequent processing (e.g., cleaning, soldering, etc.) can cause the markings to be obliterated.

The problem you are having is not unique.  We have other folks who are having the same problem.

The only option I am aware of is for you to determine if the specification for the part requires the marking to be permanent.  If so, then obtain corrective action from the part manufacturer.  Other option would be to add a label or otherwise mark with the missing information.  Other option would be to disposition as a nonconforming condition for DRS resolution.

I have had several discussions/arguments with the IPC regarding marking requirements in 001 and 610.  I maintained that important markings such as the P/N, polarity markings, reference designation markings and markings that designate the part has been electrical screen tested should not be obliterated by any processing method.  I have always lost the argument.  That is why we mandate no loss of these type markings.