TECHNET Archives

November 2005

From:
paul reid <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, paul reid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Nov 2005 15:18:28 -0500
We have done performing some reliability testing and failure analysis on
flex circuits lately and this appears to be a typical failure mode for PTHs.
It does not strike me as a classic void (unless this is a wedge void).  The
pictures seem to show copper that is cracked rather than copper that is
missing.  I would classify this failure as a barrel crack (as apposed to
metal fatigue).  This failure is likely to isolated areas of holes that have
thin copper plating.

I believe the hole qualify in these pictures would be classified as more or
less average.  The hole roughness may have smear removal as a contributing
factor.  We have seen electroless copper having a problem in covering
adequately in deep fissures that can occurred in the hole wall of flex
circuits.  The electroless and electrolytic copper in these fissures can be
thin and prone to break.  The amount of stress that is exerted by the
polyimide and adhesive system is minimal so marginal copper plating
thicknesses often go undetected for awhile.

Here is an indicator:  If this is a circumferential void then it should be
found at electrical test of the bare flex.  If it is a crack developing due
to the thermal excursions of assembly and rework, it should be found after
assembly.

Sincerely,

Paul Reid

Program Coordinator