TECHNET Archives

November 2005

From:
Frank Kimmey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Frank Kimmey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Nov 2005 15:11:41 -0800
What Frequency?
Since they are using Duroid, I think it is save to assume it is for RF.
Nickel is a barrier to RF.
Depending on the Frequency, Power level and loss acceptance, ENIG may be acceptable but will not give as good as a performance as HASL.
Unfortunately many RF designs require enclosing the circuit to minimize leakage and HASL is not flat enough to seal against well.
You might suggest IAg as you will get both flat surface and less loss due to finish (RF skin effect).
I am not sure if the Dk of the finish metals will have any real effect, but am certain that best RF performance does not come with Nickel based finishes.
Call me if you want to discuss further.
Hope it helps,
FNK

Frank N Kimmey CID+