TECHNET Archives

November 2005

From:
"Whittaker, Dewey (AZ75)" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Whittaker, Dewey (AZ75)
Date:
Thu, 3 Nov 2005 07:56:07 -0700
James and others,
You have had some good responses, but as Richard said when he quoted Sir
Doug,"It depends", is still the best answer. It depends on the layer
count, smallest PTH, smallest via, aspect ratio, thermal management of
your design, number of reflow processes prior to ship, max reflow
temperature[ eutectic vs. RoHS compliant( Lead-Free)], time above
liquidness, need to support rework, life cycle (1-3 years; 5-7 years;
20+ years) and end use environment.
As it stands right now, going up the scale in a slash sheet sort of way,
you have the following:
* IPC-4101/21, /24, /26, /121, /124, /101, /99, and my personnel
favorite /126.
The attributes that are key are as follows:
* Tg - I favor minimum 170 C, others agree a minimum 150 C is adequate.
* Moisture - 0.5% or less
* Thermal Resistance
  T260 - 30 minutes minimum
  T288 - 5 minutes minimum( some believe 2 minutes is sufficient)
  T300 - AABUS( as agreed between user and supplier)
* Decomposition Temperature - I would like 350 C ( 5% wt. loss) general
consensus 330 C
  minimum
* Z Axis CTE - I want 3% or less, general consensus 3.5% maximum
* CAF Resistance - AABUS
* Curing Agent - Although this is a dicy subject, I'll mention it
anyway. Phenolic cure systems presently outperform traditional FR4
formulations as it pertains to maintaining functionality while being
exposed to a greater number of higher thermal excursions.

The Rev B of IPC-4101 will include additional rhetoric, as well as the
new slash sheets, to help you make an informed choice as it pertains to
laminate selection, but it can not do it alone. IPC-6012, IPC-2221,
IPC-600 and the Via Protection Task Group will also have to be revised
for them to be an effective reference source to deal with all the new
performance requirements of today's Market Place. I will, with others be
working to make that happen.
Chairman of IPC-4101
Wannebee Poet Laureate of Tech-net
Dewey